Before I continue, I need to back up a bit. I forgot to mention the Fang Caves trip that I did on Thanksgiving. A bunch of us drove out to the McGregor mountains past Purden to hike the 2.5 km’s in to the cave mouth. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I’ll just post the slideshow I made and you’ll get the idea.
Continuing on…pretty much right after I got back from Edmonton I started to get ready for the Bahamas; we were leaving the following weekend. I must say, I was pretty excited. Warm weather, beaches, and palm trees…that’s a pretty good escape from -10’C and a snowstorm. We were actually going to the Bahamas for two reasons; the first was a Global Leadership Summit where we attended over 20 keynote presentations on leadership and the importance of having character in leadership. I learned a lot from the conference, but I’ll try and sum it up with some impactful one-liners:
- Character is what you do when no one is looking
- The only way to demonstrate character is through testing of character
- The eagles don’t fly with the pigeons
- Integrity is when the way you act, what you think, what you say, and what you do are all the same.
- Leaders fail their way to success
- Habits are too light to be felt until they are too strong to be broken
- When things go wrong, don’t go with them
- If you’re going through hell, don’t stop
- When pursuing greatness, you don’t know your limits, so you pretend you don’t have any
- Don’t envy people for what they have, because you don’t know what they did to get it.
- Some people are always there when THEY need you
- Don’t make someone a priority when they make you an option
- You can’t see the picture if you are in the frame
- You don’t know what you can’t do
- You are paid according to the problem you solve
- If you find yourself too deep in a hole, stop digging.
- Excellence is expecting more than others think is possible
The second reason we went to the Bahamas was for a vacation, and let me tell you, a great vacation it was! I really enjoyed the Bahamas and will definitely go back. I’ve decided not to post the Bahamas slideshow on my blog for the entire world to see, but for those of you who are my friend on facebook, you can go there and see it.
Now, let’s finish up shall we.
The rest of November was a blur as I got back into the swing of things for work and began getting ready for Christmas. Then December came along and it was another whirlwind month full of eating and partying and family. But it was a fun month, good memories all around; too much to describe here though…
And that, folks, sums up 2007. All in all a pretty great year. Looking back it was even more full than I remember…and I really did make a whole lot of slideshows didn’t I? I’ll be hard pressed to do so much this year.
But then again:
- Thinkfast is in two weeks
- The Diocesan Youth Conference is at the end of April
- We’ve got a trip planned for the Victoria Youth Conference in May
- I may be going hiking in Ontario with Peter in May
- I am going to Australia in July
- Two Camp Morice teen camps in August
- There are several weddings coming up…
AND I should be moving into my house in March!
Why am I always so busy?